Our client is based in Calgary and is the largest manufacturer and retailer in Canada in their industry. Growth has resulted in the need to add a Manager, Complex Accounting to their team. This is a full-time position that reports directly to the Senior Director, Finance.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical accounting and analytical skills and have the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. This role will work cross-functionally with teams throughout the organization, within a detail-oriented environment where creative problem-solving is highly valued.
This opportunity is ideal for someone who has excellent core knowledge of IFRS and SEC rules and is eager to contribute their expertise to a quickly growing company. The ideal candidate will have a full vision of the technical accounting process and will work closely with the team to streamline processes that impact our financial statements. Specific duties include:
- Assess the accounting implications of complex and non-routine transactions, and prepare related documentation and memos;
- Take charge of various special projects, such as business acquisitions (purchase price allocation), implementation of new accounting standards, be a key stakeholder in ESG compliance, and more;
- Take part in the quarterly financial disclosure process, including reviewing financial statement note disclosures for continuous improvements;
- Provide technical support to various finance teams and business segments for matters involving accounting standards and financial accounting;
- Take part in the maintenance of the company’s accounting policies;
- Prepare and provide internal training on updates to accounting standards and various accounting issues;
- Coordinate SOX compliance audits and tests for non-routine accounting positions and transactions with internal and external auditors;
- Support the financial reporting team in the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for complex and non-routine issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- CPA designation
- Big 4 (assurance or advisory) or national public accounting firm experience
- Experiential knowledge of technical accounting and financial reporting at publicly traded companies
- In-depth knowledge of IFRS and SEC regulations (US GAAP knowledge considered an asset)
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to convey complex financial information to non-financial collaborators
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking abilities
- Has a high level of genuine curiosity about our business, asks lots of questions and exhibits eagerness to learn
- Detail-oriented approach with a commitment to accuracy and data integrity
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work independently while successfully delivering results
- A highly developed problem solver who takes charge of creating solutions
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and adapt to evolving priorities setting
To apply, please email us your resume, attached, in confidence to email@example.com. Please include the title of this position in the subject line. We prefer resume files as .doc or .rtf; pdf acceptable.